Tuesday 19 March 2013

Why do I choose technology?

This is a pure reflection on the whole ICT&MM course. Instead of the actual content of those technologies, I would prefer to talk about something deeper. Why do I choose to learn ICT? What changes can technologies bring to us as English teachers? What can technologies bring to me as a Chinese English teacher? 

A couple of months ago, I had one trial lesson about ICT, because of which, I made a decision to totally change into ICT because I believe that is the future of education, though still new but truly promising. Back then, I didn't quite know what changes technologies can bring to education, but somehow I did believe that technology could help me make a difference.

I have been watching many inspiring TED talks on language, education and technology. The most impressive one for me is the talk given by Daphne Koller from Stanford University about 'What can we learn from technology?'. They have built up an online free course program for anyone who wants to take it. And that idea reminds of my dream as an Chinese English teacher.




I have to admit that I am one of the luckiest students in China, who had the opportunity to enjoy the best high school education in our province, and then successfully got admitted into a very good university in Beijing for undergraduate study, and was luckily enough to have wonderful parents who are able to pay for high tuition for me to pursue a master degree abroad, here in Warwick, UK.

However, I have constantly been reminded that there are millions of children in remote rural areas of China who can not even have the opportunity to finish primary school because they don't have good teachers, they don't have enough textbooks, exercise materials, even pencils or erasers, not to mention any computers or high technologies. The unequal distribution of good educational resources and good teachers between Chinese urban and rural areas has long been a problem and there has been an increasing needs from poor children in rural areas for a chance to study. 




As Koller quotes, a breakthrough happen when what is massively needed meets with what is suddenly possible. 

I have already talked about what is needed. And fortunately, through what I have learned in ICT course, I know that technologies are ready. Then, what is left to do for us, who have received the best education home and abroad? To implement those technologies in real EFL classrooms, especially in those remote areas where students cannot receive good education because of unequal educational resource distribution. 

So my dream is, as long as we equip students in rural areas with computers and internet, with the help of ICT, they could enjoy equally good educational resources with pupils in Beijing or Shanghai.

This is going to be a huge project, which takes joint efforts of  many different sectors including governments, schools, companies, teachers, computer technicians, and even volunteers. But I firmly believe that it can be realized and it's time for us to move! One of the biggest problems in China, unequal education distribution, can be and will be solved, through and only through technology.

As a lucky student who majors in education field, and as a future English teacher in China, I do feel responsible to make a difference as much as I can. Having graduated from university, I started to realize the importance of having high education and how it has changed my life and my future and my way of thinking. Therefore, I would love to, in return, try my best to help those children to go to college and make a difference of their own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment